TN(Canadian or Mexican Professionals)


The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) created special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The TN nonimmigrant classification permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the U.S to engage in business activities at a professional level.


Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN nonimmigrants are: accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. You may be eligible for TN nonimmigrant status if:

  • You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico;

  • Your profession qualifies under the regulations;

  • The position in the U.S requires a NAFTA professional;

  • You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S employer;


  • You have the qualifications to practice in the profession in question.


For Canadians – Canadian citizens who qualify for TN-1 status are not required to obtain a visa before entering the U.S they do not have to file a Form I-129 with the USCIS. Instead, the applicant needs only to present the job offer letter from a U.S employer at the border and the interviewing officer reviews the application at that time.

For Mexicans – Mexican citizens seeking TN status are required to obtain a TN-2 visa stamp before entering the U.S.  In order to obtain a TN-2 visa, Mexican nations should bring the required documentation and evidence of the prospective employment to the U.S consulate in Mexico and obtain the TN-2 stamp. Once they are issued a TN-2 visa, the immigrant may proceed to U.S borders and apply for entry into the U.S.

Read more about TN status and Visatopia’s TN services: